Monday 5 August 2013

London: Brixton

Brixton is the final stop on the south bound Victoria line. It is one of the most racially diverse areas in London. There is a massive African and Caribbean community-which makes up one quarter of the population. They strongly hold onto their roots and traditions while the younger generation are carving a new identity for themselves. 

The diversity of Brixton is oozing from it's colourful streets. My first wander there was a complete culture shock; a mish-mash of cultural references, food, dress and languages that were completely exotic to me. Without realising it I had climbed out of London's dark underground and out onto the heaving streets of Brixton Splash- an annual free street festival which is run by the local community as a celebration of the district's vibrancy and diversity.

Luckily I had my camera with me, to record my first impressions of this crazy and colourful cultural melting pot.
































Photographs by Alva

No comments:

Post a Comment