Monday 17 June 2013

Stamford Hill's Hasidic Jewish Community

"Nobody can become a 10-minute Jew," 
warns Hasidic scholar and Stamford Hill 
resident Gaby Lock. "It's so vastly away
 from your way of life that you would 
have no understanding of it whatsoever." 


Stamford Hill, London 



Six months ago I moved to Stamford Hill in north London and found myself amongst Europe's largest Hasidic Jewish community. After 34 years of living in Dublin, for the first time in my life I was now the minority, I was now different. I have become fascinated by their uniform appearance, proud demeanor and curious habits. As a former archaeologist, it's no surprise that their customs and traditions hold a particular fascination to me.






In case you haven't noticed, I'm obsessed with photography. When something unusual catches my eye I immediately want to picture it. However brave I have become in photographing strangers, it has taken me over six months of studying these dark silhouettes to capture them on film. They are the very souls of discretion, going about their daily routines to pray, ride the bus, go to the shop or go to school. They are an intensely private community and command an unspoken air of respect; when you take out your camera an uncomfortable side ward glance or a quickened foot step instantly tell you they want to be left alone. It's almost like photographing a timid but majestic wild animal.



This challenge has merely made me put down my camera and observe them from a distance whilst becoming more discreet as a photographer (a skill that will always be useful). I am gradually learning about their traditions and moral code which influences every part of their lives; from the modestly sewn up slits in the women's skirts to the tight ringlets the men tuck behind their ears or play with when deep in conversation. Even though I don't necessarily agree with their extreme orthodox behavior, I have developed a respect for their sense of family and community



 



Each day, fathers proudly walk their children to the synagogue. Large families saunter in parallel lines holding hands from the oldest child to the youngest; each infant is perfectly manicured with miniature tailored suits or pretty dresses. There are well over 20,000 Hasidic Jews in Stamford Hill. It' a rapidly growing population of old and young families that are flourishing in the protective arms of a tight unchanging community, within one of the most culturally diverse and fast moving cities of the world. It's almost as if the further the 21st century progresses the tighter they cling to the security of their traditions.





 Photography copyright of Alva Mac Gowan

1 comment:

  1. Nice time travelling Alva.... if it wasn't for the cars I'd have been completely fooled you'd gone back five decades.

    ReplyDelete