Thursday 1 December 2011

Tom's Hands


I took this photograph in 2001 whilst working on the archaeological illustration of a huge assemblage of artefacts excavated in South County Dublin. After drawing this beautifully worked Neolithic flint arrowhead I asked one of the archeologists to hold it in his hands for me. Tom, was over 70 at the time and had worked hard all his life. I imagined that the the person who crafted this seemingly fragile stone weapon thousands of years ago, may have had similar hands. I love the juxtaposition of the delicate artefact, which is capable of inflicting fatal harm when used correctly, with Tom's large and weathered hands.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I remember the day you took that photo.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete