Sunday 27 November 2011

Mimic Shot: Using a Homemade Pin-Hole Camera


This image of a window (top right) was taken in 1835 by Henry Fox Talbot with a camera obscura, the first form of camera, it is one of the earliest photographs in existence.

Today, I decided to try and replicate the image. Since I don't have a camera obscura I decided to reproduce the picture using my pin-hole camera, which works using the same principle. That is to project an image through a tiny opening onto light sensitive paper (today's photographic paper) in a light-tight container. By making a pin-hole and exposing the paper to the light that passes through it a physical reaction occurs. Which, after processing the paper through chemicals in the dark room, ultimately becomes the reflected image your object was pointing at.


Bear in mind the image will be in reverse and in negative. So, in order to make a positive photograph in reverse you simply place another piece of light sensitive paper against your image and expose them to light.


This is the result I came up with.
I must say I'm quite proud of myself.
Today, in the space of an hour or so I
built my very own camera, took a photograph and processed the image in the dark room I set up at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment